STL Science Center

STL Science Center

29 May 2012

Trying to Read Papers is Difficult

Some days you have better luck finding truffles in a city park than you do a full length scientific paper (see LitToC article here). I have a few good abstracts to share though, and that is far better than nothing as it gives you a fairly good idea what the papers are about. Additionally, I wanted to note that I was re-examining the new Paul book, as I often do, and found it interesting that not only does he not recognize Y. hepengensis, Y. magnus, and Y. shangyouensis as separate species, but he places Sinraptor into the Yangchuanosaurus genus effectively eliminating the Sinraptor genus entirely. Interesting for sure. The abstracts that I wanted to share today are from Currie and Zhao's original naming paper
A new carnosaur (Dinosauria, Theropoda) from the Jurassic of Xinjiang, People's Republic of China and from another paper, which really only mentions Sinraptor, but is interesting in that it is about finding a fossil in Thailand that dates from around the same time. This new animal was placed in the sinraptorid family and thus may be very closely related to Sinraptor and Yangchuanosaurus so this paper would make a rather interesting read if we could access the entire paper as well. Perhaps someday we will be able to find more open sourced material, until that time we will have to make do with what we have. I'd be more in depth but I have to go do adult things today as someone hit my parked car yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment